God Time

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:44:48 +1200 (NZST)

John Murphy:

>As a long time lurker on the digest I hate to open up a can of worms,
>but I was wondering how people envisioned God Time as being timeless?
>I always thought this meant God Time was non-sequential until the
>Dawning. I asked Greg about this on AOL last night and he said that
>while God Time was timeless it was sequential.

Be careful. God Time is a place that you visit by heroquests as well as being the name for the period before the Dawn. Most gloranthans think the two are the same but IMO some parts of God Time correspond to events that are known to have taken place in historical times.

>Being non-sequential
>made a lot of sense to me and it seemed to explain a lot of
>discrepiencies in God Time Myths. I may keep it that way in my
>Glorantha anyways, but would like to see other peoples take on this.

I think what Greg meant was that one experiences sequential reality while heroquesting. However someone else on the same quest may experience the same sequential reality but experience the events in different order.

>In a somewhat related question: If God Time was sequential, what were
>the human civilizations pre-greater darkness? The Kingdom of Logic, The
>Brithni, the Vadeli, Dara Happan, Kingdom of Enlightenment, Artmali,
>any others? What was the demise of these culture? I have a good idea about
>the Artmali, and Dara Happans, Kralori, and Brithni(?) are still around but
>what about the rest?

Almost anywhere that humans live has had some civilization before the Great Darkness.

BASMOLI: ruled an empire in Seshnela. They survived the Great Darkness even after their god died but were subsumed by the Malkioni into historical times.

FELDICHI: A culture that inhabited Dorastor and was associated with a Colossus (ie the Giant that makes up the Toborg mountains). Wiped out during the Great Darkness but remants survived to be exploited by the World Council.

FRONELANS: A Kingdom of sorts is known to have existed here before the coming of the Malkioni. The Third Eye Blue claim they ruled it but were smashed apart by the Nidan Decamony. However these claims are in dispute as the Third Eye Blue are obscurely related to the Pelandan Blue People from what I've heard. Final fate is not known but any Darkness-survivors are now modern Fronelans.

BLISS IN IGNORANCE: A nation that worshipped a violent sun god, Sun Storm, inhabited modern Bliss in Ignorance. After their god was enlightened by a Kralori Emperor, they fell to bleeding themselves white and later turned to darkness worship.

FERITOLA: 'Land of Fire' in what is now Teshnos. Fell to numerous evils but was saved by Soravatoor.

GALANINI: A pony riding confederation that inhabited ralios. They survived the great darkness and their descendants are the modern safelstrans.

GENERT'S GARDEN: A Giant ruled over what is now the Wastelands, formed after he was killed by Chaos.

PRAX: A great chief or chief(s) ruled over a pleasnt forest. It was razed by Oakfed during the Great Darkness. They appear to have been subservient to Genert's Garden.

PELORIANS: As well as the Dara Happans, the Pelorians also had a host of related cultures. Most of these survived the Great Darkness to become part of historical Dara Happan (or Carmanian) empire building.

RINLIDDI: A nation of bird riders inhabited NW Peloria. They were exterminated by horse riders after the great darkness but before the dawn.

SLONTANS: Some civilization was flooded by the mournsea long ago.

VINGKOTLINGS: A confederation of chariot-riding tribes (although at least two rode beasts) that dwealt in Dragon Pass. They worshipped Orlanth and fell on hard times when their God abandoned them to the Great Darkness. Most of their descendants were contacted by Heort to become the Heortlings.

VITHELA: A woundrous continent is remembered in myth. It was assailed by monsters and forced to retreat from the Inner World. The fragments left behind are Vormain and the Ten Thousand Isles of Wonder.