Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #502

From: K. Paul McDonald <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:08:56 -0500

> John Murphy:
> I always knew I was right! Godtime is timeless!

This was a rough one for me to grasp, until I stopped thinking like a post-enlightenment person. Timeless to a Gloranthan IMO means there is no day/night cycle, and you don't grow old.

As for the heroplane, there are as many opinions as Gloranthaphiles... I happen to like the "all things are possible" heroplane, where events play out according to my culture, and someone else would see similar events with very different details on their version of the same quest. Thus, the Heroplane is "timeless" in a different way than the pre-Darkenss.

> Olof Nergard
> If I were a god learner I would make a myth where the gods are
> secretly chained to my factories bleeding their power into my magical
> items.

This is close to what I see the Godlearners being up to, though more severe. One idea I had were that the magic swords provided some kind of blessing, or mindlink for soldiers, ect, with the condition that the user had to chant a prayer to the Invisible God. Greedy people would be slowly influenced to the Monotheist way...

Another is that the items used magic sacred to various gods in a callous way. The Godlearners seemed to care more for the effect produced and less for the traditions and beliefs they trampled upon.

In the end, I don't think anything really big was needed to cause a multi-racial counter-attack. No society is likely to put up with a threat this severe, and greed completes the picture. Everyone would like to get in on the plunder. Of course, the Mostali seem to have come out on top with this one. ;) Gloranthan history is full of examples of races putting aside their differences if the perceived reward was great enough...

K.Paul McDonald
Computing Consultant I
NCSU Hardware Services
(919)515-5001