Naming in Umathela.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:56:52 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

>Anyway, I'm tentatively calling the storm barbarians Umathelans (they're
>the ones who revere Umath, after all, and they take up most of the area),
>but that leaves me without a name for the coastal folk.

Why not call them Sedalpists? Gloranthan ethnotaxonomy is far from exact IMO.

>I suppose I could call the Coastal people Umathelans, since perhaps they'd
>be more likely to *have* a name for the whole land, and use an Jrusteli
>name, but then I have no name for the storm barbarians (though they could
>be grouped into Vralans and Enklosans).

There need not necessarily be one. After all, what's the generic term for someone who lives in the balkans?

What I think is the case is that the Coastal People refer to themselves as Malkioni and to the interior people as the barbarians, the orlanthi, the umathi, pagans, heathens or whatever name takes their fancy. I think the barbarians tribes are actually quite different from each other.

Outsiders IMO would label the coastal Malkioni as being Sedalpists even though some of them are not members of the Sedalpist church.

>Also, are the Vadeli of Umathela exclusively red, or brown as well? (I
>presume this is also the color of their skin.)

Exclusively Brown. The Red Vadeli are notorious pirates in the Red Islands and nobody should know that they are Vadeli as of now.