Re: Female Knights

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 05:09:03 -0500

Mike Cule writes:

> But yes, female military knights are rare, even rarer than
> professional female soldiers are in real-world Western society. =

Do you have an opinion on how their rarity compares to real-world historical and literary instances of female knighthood (or equiv. status, for the Islamic world)?

I've always assumed that a Gloranthan female warrior in Western society is "unusual" but not impossible -- like the Britomarts and Joans of Arc and wossname-from-the-Crusades and gazelle-like warrior women from Arabian stories. Something like Lady Vega, in fact: an oddity, perhaps, but not an impossibility.

And then there are many Gloranthan societies where it's nothing unusual at all: like the barbarians, or the Lunars...

::::
Nick
::::