Re: Bendy Sky Dome

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 98 17:55 MET

Alex seems to be afraid
>That the Sky Dome is fucked, basically.

>I don't exclude this possibility, I just want to make the observational
>consequences of a "The sky is a hemisphere of (blah) size, light ain't
>bendy, deal" type of "design decision". And naturally, I'd like to know
>if it _doesn't_ look like a (finite or otherwise) hemisphere, what on
>Glorantha _does_ it look like?

As far as I am concerned, the Sky Dome looks like a perfect hemisphere with 50 km (or 80 km, if you prefer imperial measures) wherever you look at it - probably even wrt parallax.

The most interesting question is the location of items below the star/sky dome, like the Red Moon (the lowest of the stellar bodies, unless you count the Zenith), the planets, special phenomena (Orlanth's Ring, the Juggernaut) and the sun.

I don't know if this works with the bendy light theory, but it works with the current agreement on the horizon.