Looking down from above.

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:35:30 +0100

I don't know if anyone has ever thought about this. And I don't know if it's important. But I was thinking about the 'cosmic diagram of Glorantha' that appeared in Codex and also about the shape of the Earth Rune.

Assuming that the lozenge really is square in shape (and why should the Earth cultist get it wrong all these years?) then:

Draw a circle. Put a square in it touching the circle at all four points. Now turn it so that the square is a diamond.

You are now looking down on Glorantha from the hole in the top of the Sky Dome. To the right, the spot where the lozenge touches the Sky Dome is the Gate of Dawn. To the left the spot where they meet is Gate of Dusk. To the North is what I'll call the Cold Pole and to the South is the Hot Pole.

In all four quarters there are patches of ocean with no land beneath them. All of these are outside the Mundane World. If you swam down you would eventually find yourself swimming up into the Underworld.

Does that make sense? Does it matter?