silly magic items

From: cory_at_chem.eng.usyd.edu.au
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:40:55 +1000

Hi All

This is something I did to my players involving a pretty useless magic item. In questworld (i Think) there was a giant chess board 32ft square made out of stone which if 2 people used a magic point each, would allow them to play chess with the pieces moving on their own as you decided your move.
The players in my campaign found this in the art Gallery in the Rubble, they found that each square could be removed and they ended up with 64 3ft square stone slabs and all the pieces (the Kings were 6ft tall), the amount of effort that the players went to, just to get the chessboard back to Pavis was hilarious, half going back for wagons the others fighting bandits and then getting it into the wagons, more bandits and then trying to con the lunar gate guards to let them in, it was so funny. In the end they sold it to Pavis Temple but the tax owed bringing it into the city, 1 player lost a leg and and all the other healing meant the almost spent more than they made, and they still thought they pulled off the scam of the century. I love silly magic items, and so do my players, the things you can make them do involving something useless but MAGICAL are just endless, they say "its magic, its got to be worth something" and off they go.

Cory

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #505