A Collector's Confession...

From: Richard Meints <rmeints_at_ford.com>
Date: 30 Mar 1998 05:01:45 -0500

Hello,
to: glorantha_at_chaosium.com

Several recent converts to the obsession that is Glorantha have once again vented the following frustrations about RQ2 product scarcity:

  1. The only place I can get the info I desperately need is in RQ2 sources.
  2. I could more easily purchase a painting by Michaelangelo.
  3. It's unfair that all the 30+ year old Gloranthaphiles know more than me.

None of the above is meant to be insulting. The insulting stuff is below...

In response, I have to say that the above reasons for the "must have" status of RQ2 is easy to "buy" into, but that doesn't make it true. I've been very lucky, from the "I want everything RQ related" stand point. I started early, had a lot of help from friends, was in the right place at the right time, put in a lot of effort, and had enough money to put together my collection. This gives me the luxury of being able to say that "having it all" is NOT all that you think it is.

  1. RQ2 stuff has the info I need. Let's start with the heavyweights:

Pavis: Cradle scenario has not been reprinted. Borderlands: Scenarios have not been reprinted. Big Rubble: The scenarios and part of the rubble background are OOP. Cults of Prax: Look in ROC, Tales 14-15, or on the Chaosium website. Cults of Terror: Look in Lords of Terror or Chaosium website. Only the

                 cult of Vivamort is OOP. This will be in Tales 19.
WB&RM/Dragon Pass: Buy the Oriflam version.(translation available) Nomad Gods: Buy the Oriflam version. (translation available) Wyrm's footnotes: Buy Wyrm's footprints.

The rest of the RQ2 product line is mainly stat oriented: Foes, Runemasters, Militia & Mercenaries, Scorpionmen & Broos.

There is very little that is really out of print, especially if you look at it as a whole. At least 90% of the info is obtainable elsewhere.

2. Obtainability. This is a matter of time and Money.

Over the last 10 years of tracking or attending auctions in the US, Europe, and on the web, EVERYTHING has come up for auction at least once. Every Glorantha/RQ Con has had all or most of the RQ2 boxed sets. Every Convulsion convention in the UK has had each boxed set. Some of these conventions have had multiple copies. The Web auctions have each of the boxed sets come up at least once or twice a year. Even every issue of Wyrm's footnotes ahs been auctioned off. If you expect your local games store to have it on the shelf for $20, you will probably wait forever. Yes, some people have been very lucky and picked up a rarity for $5, but that spoils the mystique so I will say no more of that. If you want a copy of big rubble, do the following: get onto the usenet newsgroup called rec.games.frp.marketplace and place a WTB: Big Rubble for $100 post and you will probably find a seller.

3. Some people know more. I won't touch that one. I know I don't know more

   than most of the people here.

Take Care,
Rick Meints, Education, Training & Development, 8-737-2126 Mobile: 0976-686-454 Internet: RMeints_at_e-mail.com