Re: Naming in Umathela

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:32:43 -0800

Peter Metcalfe answered me

> Why not call them Sedalpists?

The thought crossed my mind, but I have intimations that not all of the Malkioni are actually Sedalpists. After all, Cerngoth has an alliance with the elves, which would seem to go against Sedalpist doctrine. Also, it's my understanding that the ruler of Tortrica worships pagan storm gods. And it's always possible that one or two of the coastal cities practices a heretical version of Malkionism...

(Sure, not everyone is a good follower of their faith, but I get to define the terms here, so I'm trying to make things less confusing. I think it's easier if Sedalpist has a religious meaning and not a cultural one.)

BTW, my dictionary defines "lozenge" as a shape that's definitely not square...

And the plural of "shaman" is "shamans," since the word is totally unrelated to the English word "man" and thus doesn't form irregular plurals.

Alain Rameau asked

> is there any areas on Glorantha were the culture would have
> analogies with the Arabian Night Culture (Aladdin, Sinbad, ...) ?

Fonrit. Enclosure 2 will feature information about it. Until then, the best source is Heroes vol. I no. 6. Or you can ask Simon Bray, Martin Hawley, or Duncan Rowlands, who have an interest in it.