Kids

From: Nikk Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 00:00:10 +0100

>Anybody here have any experience at running games with children?

Yes, but obviously not my own. I think the lowest I'd would ever consider running a game for would be fourteen, thirteen at a push. Playing in a roleplaying club means I don't always get a choice about who to run for, and often get young kids playing in my game. I've found that children, just like adults, vary in game playing ability, I've got three in my campaign at the momeny. One is a gungho monty haul player who has played in a campgin where the GM let things go wild (he keeps telling us about his Dwarven bazooka he invented), another is obsessed by rules niceties and using his knowledge of the rules and game world as much and often as possible (which sounds nice, but when he nearly burns down Marost in an attempt to dry his clothes by using Evoke Flame, or using Fly to life cobblestones up from the ground it starts to get silly) and the last, I have to admit, is an well rounded roleplayer who can improvise and think about the consequences of his actions. I have to say that the children I have played with are often surprised when their plans go wrong - this is a good and bad thing, children are normally full of inventive schemes, but unfortunately they sometimes fail to think them through (Giant Moths flying around blasting buildings do not last long in a city with watchmen). Attention span should also be considered, but then I have that problem with my thiry year old players : ) Having seen some excellent plans from the younger players in my group, as well as having started playing when I was young (I first played RQ when I was about 15 and had played roleplaying games for a few years beforehand) I don't see any problems having youngsters play.

Nikk E.

Nikk Effingham
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/7556/

    "If absolute power corrupts absolutely,