RQ 2: holy talisman or weird focus of obsession

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:27:40 -0800

Wow - people really are getting cranky about out of print RQ 2 stuff!!  Pointlessly and rather pathetically so. For instance, Jon Green, presumably normally a sober enough individual rants:

>Shannon, have you been _reading_ the Digest recently? In order to
>participate in at least half of the discussion you need to know just
>about _every_ piece of the published material by heart. Including the
>RQ2 stuff.

Now I'm not Shannon, but at the risk of offended Nils by using the B-word, that is utter bollocks. Hell, I wrote a good portion of Enclosure and I certainly don't own all the RQ2 stuff, let alone know it by heart. Buy "King of Sartar", "Fortunate Succession", "Glorious ReAscent of Yelm" and "Broken Council Guidebook", and voila, you too can debate with the best of them. Read Enclosure. Read Tales of the Reaching Moon and the occasional Drastic Resolution and voila, you can cite obscure sources! All of this is stuff that has been published within the last ten years and NONE of it is RQ 2.

RQ 2 has some great scenarios - the Cradle and the entire Griffin Mountain campaign come to mind. It also had some stinkers. RQ 2 is not a holy icon that should be ceremonial worshipped as the source of all wisdom and certainly its absence should not be the source of revolutionary ire.

As for the weird assault on Rick Meints, hey - cool it. Rick is hipster cool, a true Gloranthaphile, and an all-around great guy.

Jeff

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #510