I thought we all agree

From: Xavier SPINAT <spinat_at_poly.polytechnique.fr>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:05:16 +0100

Well, I don't want to further some quarrels. I guess some people offended others and I hope apologies will prevent the usual insult-exchange. I guess the "grow up" or "get a life" comments don't go in the right direction but I understand that some people are getting nervous. I am.

I just wanted to point out that the problem is not to know whether the out-of-print materials can be found at a decent price or not. The problem is not to determine which is the more relevant between trying to collect everything you can get or trying to really use everything you already have.
The problem is not to know if french people have to be either very rich or unscrupulous to get precious pieces of information about Glorantha or if they have to learn to play in Glorantha without any RQ2 products. The problem is not even to know whether the people who use obscure and old mythic supplements as references do that to enlight the uninitiated or to proove how much more knowledgeable they are in those matters.

I think the only problem is that there's nothing really new about Glorantha. Ok, we have a lot to expect in the future. But right now, the only sources, good or not, are mainly old sources. They've been discussed, they've been prized. They're both precious and out-dated. And I know how unnerving it is to have to do without them.
But whatever... The point is we have to wait for the new blood. Glorantha needs new issues, new material, new events. More adventures, more background, more details. More facts and more fictions. Promises and mere possibilities won't be enough.
I think that what true glorantha-fans lack is not to own some old RQ2 supplement to make cool quotations or to run some out-dated hack&slask scenario. What the fans need, what I'd like to see, is more and more new activity in Glorantha.
It's not that what happens know isn't worth a thing. Well, there are new things (and good stuff) even if they're not "official" products. The fact is that, being the only novelties available, the quest to gather them doesn't seem like a burden. But the world of Glorantha seems to me to be more "undead" than alive: running mainly on old material. I heard it's gonna be resurrected, cool, I hope I'll be able to read soon about new places, new time-lines, new heroes, new surprises, new quests, new dangers, new epics, new legends...
Everything we need to make Glorantha live again.

Failing that, well, it won't prevent each of us to have our own remembrance of RQ and Glorantha and to animate his/her own glorantha-like world. But the possibilities of exchange between "our gloranthas" will become less and less plausible as time goes by and the debates (and thus, the digest...) will become more and more pointless because the common ground will disappear.

At least, that's what I think and that commits only me (as far as I know)...

Xavier