Sky's the limit.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:04:59 +0100 (BST)

Nick Brooke makes his Gaming Politics roll comfortably (IMO), then adds:
> Poorly handled by Chaosium, of course, but what's news
> there? (Greg is *extremely* bad at letting people down
> gently: cf. RQ4!)

They don't call it "Gregging" fer nuthin'!

> > I'd like to know if [the Sky Dome] _doesn't_ look like
> > a (finite or otherwise) hemisphere, what on Glorantha
> > _does_ it look like?

> Our Sky?

Nick, what _shape_ is the Sky in your world? ;-)

Or if you prefer: your answer is contradicted by the antedent of my question.

Fellow blow-in Simon Phipp writes:
> Walking to Quinnsworth on Sunday it struck me that I had missed the
> point when thinking about the Sky Dome. (Nothing new there, of
> course). Although the Dome appears to be a dome, there is no reason
> why it should be.

Other than all the myths calling it one, and the Duck Test?

> Hence, the Sky Dome would be as big as the Lozenge [but] only a few
> kilometres, or tens of kilometres, in height. It should be higher than
> the highest mountains (which AFAIK do not touch the Sky) but needs only
> be a little higher. This makes me feel a lot better.

At the risk of making you feel worse (or go back to Quinnsworth), that's a very awkward solution. Does Yelm therefore appear to be 50,000km away when he rises, and 50km when he passes overhead? Is there _huge_ stellar parallax, as this implies?

Dunnes Stores Customer,
Alex.