Re: Stoicism in the face of OOP?

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:40:38 -0800

>I find that a very odd statement. You mean that Team Issaries are
>monitoring the auction prices of Griffin Mountain, and deciding
>"$100? Way too little, let's wait until it hits $200, _then_ reprint
>it." (Yes, I know this is gross parody of any actual Chaosium attitude,
>and ignores several inconvenient facts about the practicalities of such
>a reprint (or revamping, as it would have to be).)

To be more succinct: if there are a thousand illegal reprints, the market for a new version of said material will be substantially reduced. Maybe not by a thousand, but by hundreds of copies without a doubt.

This is the same reason we have to be careful about how far we expand the web site. If we offer too much for free, that same material will have a smaller audience if actually reprinted.

Expect to see us continue to walk that line. We'll offer material we consider introductory, vital, or unlikely to be reprinted on the web site. It will continue to expand. I believe you're going to see some bits and pieces of Griffin Mountain end up there. We'll hold other material back because we desire the ability to do a _Hero Wars_ supplement based on it.

Shannon