The tale of the reaching bad guy

From: llabrot <labrot.laurent_at_hol.fr>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 02:43:41 +0100

Please, note the following before reading 1: i'm french, i can speak italian, german, and french... but my english is bad, so, read twice ...

2: Being not a gbaji servant, i've no will to become the so called online war creator, and this message will be the last on the subject, considering the game himself to be more interesting...

3: having read the last 10 digests with attention, i will mention somes peoples, but i can not mention the position of anybody, so, dont be offended if i can not speak of your personnal position... even if i've read your participation.

First, considering the so called offense who give me many messages, from Nick brooke, Shannon Appel, Ian thomson, etc... almost 25 in total, i will just say that a great majority of readers consider that the duel whas quite equilibrated, having myself been very misunderstood by the so called Mr Suitcase. (the origin of this nickname is quite simple, it's a serie of articles on the Wizard of the coast magazine, for the game Magic the Gathering, where Mr suitcase is the one who carry almost any card on the market, pretty amusing, that's all). I have no intention to answer to the reponse here, witch is not my goal, i will just say that i make anybody judge for this case. I dont myself consider that one word i used (egoistic) can provoque a reply where the words racist and disonest are used... so, i consider a stalemate, having no intention to go on this subject... If Rick Meints would like to have an explanation with me, he can write to my boxmail, for me the question is at the end...

I will remember quite well my position, to be sure that anybody will not miss a point, and that anybody will not write falses assertions after.

  1. I'm a french gamer, aged 31, and i've played runequest for ten years (when i say play, it's not very right, i will say tryed to play... the reasons will be explained)
  2. I'm a Mr Suicase in many others games, like TSR products, Traveller, Jorune, etc..
  3. i have the whole french line of products, and many english too, like Griffin Island and Snake Pipe...

So, what was my goal with my first message on this list?? clearly provoque a reaction, but a positive one, just saying the truth, the whole thruth. What is this thruth, that can shock the US and British public???

  1. Runequest, remarquable product, is at a crossroads. He need rejuvenation, as Xavier Spinat said, because his image today is going down, for many reasons that can't totally escape to the readers of this list. First, the game is old, ok, it's not a fondamental diffect, but how can he fight against war machines like TSR, White Wolf, etc... Chaosium had made a great job all other the years, but dont have today the same power than the giants, who can even sell desastrous material with any problem. So, the question is: it's great to think that the runequest fans will have a brand new game, but his succes halas does not depend of you here... sure that you will buy the whole line... but it depend of occasional or news gamers who will state if, yes or no, Glorantha would be a success in the gaming market, or a mess with the right to stop all the process. Second, the game is very complex, not only the game rules, but the background. And this is, at this point, that the problems are comming. You can play Runequest with only the basic rules, right, and create a classic fantasy world, with ADD tendencies... just another clone. I will just say that many gamers in France (i dont no in england..USA) just play like that, for a lot of reasons.

The complete backround is very difficult to master, and many here have the false conviction that you are understood... sorry, but you are a elite group of gamers, the happy few that really undertand the background... the logic, the essence of this world.
You can tell me at this point that anybody can make the effort to follow you, but this is not the case. why, because you master the information on this game. Ok, nobody can know everything on this world, it's not necessary to know the whole thing to master a game, right, i know the arguments, but you dont remember two things.
First Runequest is a great game because the creation is not confiscated by the authors and the company. You guy's, have a great chance: to have Mr Stafford (i can't say Greg.. cause i've not been presented to him) and Mr Petersen or Shannon Appel as creators, because they long ago understood that the game they created was your game too. Did you know any other game where you can find the same rich background, the same exchange between the fans, the same special conventions with traditions and encounters??? me, no............

So, even if Chaosium will do a great job in the new line, you here are the future of this game, but you are not alone, that the point who cause some trouble, you are not alone because somes people (as myself) would be interrested in creation of any type... and can not participate for obvious reasons.

Runequest is like an old dragonewt today, with many old stories in his brain, and a reputation of glorious past. The problem is that the dragonewt brain cant remember all the events, and had made some quick references for permitting the legends to be talked again and again... but the quick had not the same taste, especially for people who will try to participate to the legend... and will try to understand the council of wyrms, a famous place where the old wyrms (or so called no offense nick, right) are speaking about long death marvels... you are the wyrms, i'm Mellow Yellow right??? understandable??? and i knock at the door

At this point, the question of knowledge became very important, and the question of RQ2 material is very well explained in this digest these days.

First, i will gladly admit that many stuff is reprinted, and figure online, but two things ar real to, and nobody can contest

first: the Runequest game had a lack of scenarii, being myself a worker, like many, i have no time to create new adventures, and i will just consider that many adventures have not been reprinted... Griffin campain, Big Rubble, Pavis... secondary stuff, not at all...

Second, the possibility to purchase theses items at good prices is impossible in France, and i can not admit that this game is the only one, i say the only one on the market today where the only opportunity to purchase is to participate to an auction (4-5 each year??? great number) with prices right bellow somes estimations ( a frend of mine tried to purchase a Pavis box last year, with a 100$ offer, the product was sell at more than 140$...and having hasked to half a dozen shops (Titan, Dragon Trove, etc...) the result is clear: a Pavis box will be sell in shop for more than 150$, the medium price was...250$...)
So, even if this reality is not the collector one here, i can't have the money for buying such product, and i remember to some people here that they wouldn't have been able to purchase it too when they where students... the prices evolves...

Conclusion: if you are not rich, have a frend who played this game for long time, you can not have access to the whole history, and here, the question is important, you will not have the keys to understand somes words of the wyrms, and follow their footprints...right... not the right to understand, not the will to involve yourself in the creation, and the right to close the door back, and to buy a marvellous ADD 5 edition, or an imortal Thorg...

Or.... the right to follow the nysalor riddle, and photocopy....

Be sure that i'm myself against photocopy, as i stated clearly in my past messages, but somes people here seems to believe the contrary, why, i dont know, this is not my english, cause almost 85% of the messages stated this fact... so... I think that speaking the truth can sometime be dangerous, and the courageous statement of Sergio Mascarenhas prove it, his statements are right and logic, open your eyes

Yes, many people photocopy the rules (English and American are more honest, right, but are sometime very naive too!), yes this situation is not a good thing, yes it will grow again and again without any proper decision, and can create a great problem in the future... this is the principal reason of my messages...say the truth and obtain a positive reaction, not messages explaining why photocopy is bad, ugly, selfish, and dishonest. (it was a good thing, but know you are honest here anyway...

If Chaosium staff will make a good new product, he must give to the gamers, especially newcomers, a brand new line of product, but must accept the contributions of any sort for increasing new material. I state and maintain at this point that two things must be done.

One: give the opportunity to anyone to follow the footprints of the wyrms, and to create new things with them. So create new old wyrms... giving to anyone the right choice to became a runequest fan with an equal knowledge for all. At this point, the question is not to block the collector value, and i'm sure that the fans who can buy at hight price will do that.

This reality is already understood by the creators of the line, and the principal result of my so called war is to have today nice answers, where Shannon Appel and Sandy Petersen prove that they follow me in this judgment. And are aware of the global situation So, the question is today to know exactly the solution.

I've considered a the starting point that they where 3 choices: reprinting, giving online (or creating a cd with scan versions), and photocopying. For me, reprinting was a good solution, but Shannon Appel explain that it is impossible.
Giving online or selling a CD was scandalous for peoples who consider that Chaosium already give a lot of stuff online, facts that i admit without any doubt. I consider the giving option simply because TSR is doing that, but i've not give any judgment on the subject. it was just funny to see that people who have no rights say sometime no, and the creators say yes...

Infine, photocopying is not for me the solution, for two reason.

First, as i said, i'm not a bad guy (i like this rule but only in RPG games) and photocopiing is disonest right, i've never said the contrary, even if i told you that i understand the reasons in the french situation (very different from england and usa where no translation are needed...)

Second: If Glorantha will convince new gamers, it will be because a brand new line of products will be available. So, even if i'm sure that Chaosium will not neglect new material, (i'm totally sure that Shannon Appel and frends will give us new marvels), i think that adaptating old stuff will be necessary (fame of the product, less time to create.), and at this point, i dont know what will be the attitude of AH??? i hope they will accept adaptations of old products, the world being property of Chaosium anyway. So, if anybody make photocopy, Chaosium will miss a lot of sales on theses products, gamers thinking that they already have the stuff...(stated form Nick brook)

So, at this point, i will just consider the solution of Shannon Appel to be the good one, and i will greatly join to anyone on this site who will follow him. The position of Mr Sandy Petersen is very honest, and it prove with such position that he is a creator and not a monney maker, fact that i was sure for many times.
The interresting idea behind theses messages is, in a certain sense, to help Chaosium building a new product, buying oldest one's, a sort of homage to the past that pleased me.

I hope that the exact system will be explained here, i'm sure that Shannon Appel will clearly explain the rules in a far future (hu not so far he) It will be a great rendez vous for french gamers, and for many others i can imagine

Imagine if every gamer like me can purchase at good price an official copy of the greats products of the past??? It will not be the same, good for the collectors and fans, but i will understand what is exaclty this F.... (hum, french word) puzzle canal...
I can infine beat anyone (with my tongue) that make illegal photocopy and explain to him that he can purchase such things legally...be sure Mr Petersen if you read this that i have no intention to photocopy, even with your permission, why???

With this system, Chaosium can make somes $ and sell the old products too in a new version (i will gladly purchase big rubble twice, a photocopy and the brand new version in a great colored box too...

Soo, Mellow yello ask just something in conclusion to you....

was is messages so stupids and the results of this war so ridiculous?? you are difficults to move guys... and my goal, believe it or not, was just this...

i follow your footprints now
Salutations de france
Laurent Labrot

ps: next time, an action to have the answer to the 7 forbidden questions, without paying a pound...

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #517