Charg

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 19:32:50 +1200 (NZST)

K. Paul McDonald:

Me>> The Charggi are not Orlanthi. They've more in common with Storm
>> Bull.

>Ah, I thought they were typical hill barbarians before the closing.
>Do you have a source for more detail on these people? All I have are
>little quips hinting at problems for Carmenia.

The Fortunate Succession. Uroxi tribes are mentioned as moving into Vangstal (south of the Sweet Sea) from Charg circa 1105 ST. Furthermore in the description of the Battle at Castle Blue:

        'Even foreigners found excuses to become involved.  The
        barbarian Orlanthi said the Goddess was evil, the warlord
        of Charg said it was his duty to fight chaos, and even the
        blue men worshipping YarGan the Abominable came up from
        underneath the sweet sea to fight.'
                        Fortunate Succession p52.

A warlord whose duty is to fight chaos sounds like a worshipper of Storm Bull/Urox to me. The Orlanthi mentioned in the quote live in Brolia and Worion (cf Karsten Fardrisson in KoS p164).

Andrew Joelson:

Me>> The Charggi are not Orlanthi. They've more in common with Storm Bull.

>May I ask what the source of this is? I (working from memeory) believe
>that the area is still under the Ban. When the Ban lifts, who knows what
>will come out?

The area was well known before the ban descended and most cultures that have emerged from the Ban are recognizable as being descended from the pre-ban cultures. The Kingdom of War is the major exception so far and even then it was noted as a troll stronghold of sorts.

>As for it's effect on Carmania, it will be minimal. The closeest Count
>is paranoid about them, and is turning his domain into an armed camp in
>order to be ready for them.

Like the French and the Maginot Line, perhaps?

Sandy Petersen:

Me>>The Charggi are not Orlanthi. They've more in common with Storm Bull.

> Whatever is under the Ban in Charg is certainly not some
>pathetic barbarians. Just as there was no hint of the Kingdom of War
>before the Ban, there is no hint of what lies in wait in Charg. Since it
>is (probably) the last important bit of the Ban to open up, it is
>thematically essential that it be something absolutely astounding, like
>the Black Sun, or a new race of humanity, or White Elves, or Blue
>Vadeli, or something.

I agree as to the thematic nature of what lies within Charg. It's just that we can make some guesses as to their likely nature. The Kingdom of War was a former troll stronghold and the Kingdom of Loskalm was radically different before the ban. So IMO some traces of Storm Bull origins should be prevalent in Charg when it emerges from the ban...