Oddi's Lament

From: K. Paul McDonald <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:43:15 -0500

Part II of Schrodenger's Orlanthi...

In Lords of Terror, page 11...

Future History: last paragraph
"The results of the assault on the Lunar Empire are not known, for there is no record in the Lunar annals of any such invasion. All that is known is that Oddi led his entire tribe to a tragic end. He survived, this time without even Ketil, and returned to Bilini and Dorastor. There he proved his heroic worth by meting out the Final Death to Ralzakark with Ironbreaker, though it cost Oddi his life and the sword."

IMHO, The author of this section was not Paulis Longvale. Rather it was the editor who presented the work bound into Lords of Terror - some future Gloranthan historian. It is the same voice that wrote the introduction to Longvale's tale.

Naturally, this proves nothing. The entire story could be hogwash from start to finish. Still, my point is that there is a source that says Oddi returned to Dorastor after the end of Bilini Saga and killed someone that the future historian believed to be Ralzakark and died in the process. I refer to this death as being the Wyrd of the sword because this is exactly what the sword's wyrd is for - To kill the unkillable foe through the sacrifice of the wielder.

This raises another question in my mind, though. What was the fate of the Bilini army, such that no record of its defeat exists? That it was betrayed seems obvious, but where and how?

Thanks for everyone's time...

Control spell?! What control spell!
K.Paul McDonald