Golden Age for Glorantha

From: Ingo Tschinke <Tradetalk_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 00:07:23 +0200

Hi fellows

after following the discussion about OOP material must say that I can understand the musing of Laurent. I started to play RQ back in 1985 and in this time it was very difficult to get your hands on RQ 2 material. Okay, I can happly say that I'm owing most of the old RQ 2 material and I mostly never used it. I'm using it only as background material and I have played once the Cradle adventure, Borderlands and Griffin Mountain. But if you haven't seen this material you would like to get it desperatly - such as Laurent (I was in the same situation 10 years ago, so I have sympathy for Laurent - but I don't like his arguments against Rick, because I know Rick and I must agree to Colin Phillips and MOB - he is really a great nice guy).

In one of his mails he said that there are not so many convention with RQ auction - which is definatly not true. We are now doing the 9. German RQ Con on whitsun - Tentacles over Bachrach - and each of these cons has seen a RQ auction, with material like Pavis, Borderlands, Big Rubble and more. Which have been sold there really cheap (the last Pavis box goes away for a price of US $ 65). So I can only agree to Rick and say: Come to the German convention on whitsun.

In the time in which I have started to play RQ only some material was available. Most of the RQ 2 were OOP and AH has not started RQ 3 in this time. I have waited very desperatly for new material (which I got VERY slowly from AH). Therefore we founded the RuneQuest - Society in Germany with its own german magazin Free INT (later called Schattenklinge). In germany most of the RQ players have been all newbies and have had no access to any RQ 2 material. This was a reason why we tried to explain the concept of Glorantha in the last 17 issues of Schattenklinge. I can understand the problems the newbies have now with the OOP material. But the situation is now totally different to that back in the eighties. As MOB pointed out we have a very active fan scene over the whole world. The RQ - Society (Chaos Society now) has more then 190 members who are more or less working activly on the production of Schattenklinge and Tradetalk. But just for the newbies we are doing Tradetalk - we are using the concept of Free INT and we are trying to give as much material for the gaming on Glorantha as possible.

For example in Tradetalk # 4 we will pick up the RuneQuest companion description of the Holy country. We will presenting a new A 3 map of the holy country which is offically approved by Greg Stofford and we will deliver all information a newby wants to get an overview on this part of Glorantha. Furthermore there will be a lot of new material on the Islands and the Kingdom of Night (Shadowplateau).

Beside our magazine there are so many other excellent products from the RMM, BoDR, Enclosure, Questlines, etc. etc. I would have dreamed of in the eighties. It is a fact that we haven't seen any official material from AH for a long time and nothing new from the new founded Issaries INC. But we have never had such a active fan scene like just in the moment.

Just take a look on the products which has been published or will be published this very year:
Questlines II from Down under
Tradetalk # 3 - east ralios issue (out now) Tales of the reaching Moon # 17 - coming soon Best of Tales
Enclosure II
The new Jonstown Guide
German Con Foundraiser (we didn't know the exact name yet)

Tradetalk # 4 - Kethaela issue part 1
Tradetalk # 5 - Kethaela issue part 2
Tradetalk # 6 - Ducks, Dagonewts, Telmori and Orlanthi issue

May be we will see also another issue of RQ Adventures, Drastic and others beside this listed material. All this fan products will give newbies a lot of material for Glorantha to play with. IMO you don't need any photocopies of OOP material, because there is much better new material published and still available. One time I have made the experience that one of my booklets (the jonstown guide) was reprinted without my personal permission, so I know how insulting such illegally using of copyright was for me.

Furthermore we have just founded a french Chaos Society, which is a registered games club in Bordeaux (contact Didier Escodemaison <dragons_at_atlantel.fr> for more information). Make up something in France for your own, the Chaos Society Europe, USA and DUCS (Down under Chaos Society) will support you. Take it as a suggestion - it helps.

Cheers

Ingo Tschinke

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #520