Swords, sharp & wierd

From: DUNCAN ROWLANDS <DUNCANROWLANDS_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:36:31 -0500

Sorry that this is a bit after the event but real life has got in the way=

and I've just read the last 30 digests in one evening (lack of friends becoming evident)

In all the debate about well made swords having non-magical bonuses and t= he
fallout from it no one mentioned a certain Humakti sub cult of Inginew Swordsmith which appeared in Tales #15, the followers of which are able t= o
make good quality swords with non-magical bonuses (I wonder who wrote tha= t
cult?)

Sandy's ideas on strange swords were interesting but I do take issue with=

the Glass Sword bit. Not being able to see one's own sword is not much o= f
a problem as long as you have practiced with it and know its length, shap= e
and balance. Trained swordsmen do not look at their opponents blades, these move far too fast to parry by looking at the blade. Forearms, wris= ts
and the angle of the guard are what I look at. If Sandy meant the whole = of
the sword is glass then there will be a problem in parrying, if just the blade and not the hilt then a it would be a bit of a problem but not too much. Most of the difficulty would be the surprise value.

One little comment on the thorny subject of photocopying, auction sales a= nd
Danny Bourne's little comment about the tax liability on the sale of rare=

publications. Tax may be theoretically due but I will not have my notebo= ok
out at the auction at Convulsion 4 this summer.

Duncan Rowlands (H.M.I.T.)