Re: Blue Moon Cult

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 02:55:09 -0500

Dougie asks:

> Can anyone give me some info about the cult of the Blue Moon. I > think stuff about it was in Troll Gods

Correct. Full cult write-up plus additional mythic material in the JC handout (a Blue Moon myth -- excellent! -- plus observations of a Troll ceremony to propitiate her). Also, there's some astronomical material in "Elder Secrets" and brief mythic mentions in the GoG Prosopaedia.

The cult of the Blue Moon is devoted to secrecy and assassinations. It has three centres of power, but the interesting one is the Blue Moon Plateau in north-east Peloria, an ally of the Lunar Empire and source of some of its weirder magics. The cult spells include the ones cut from RQ2 for game balance -- Vision, and Invisibility (in both Spirit Magic and Divine Magic versions). They get to summon weirdly different Lunes, called Selenes, as their elementals. DI is haphazard to the point of insanity, and the Spirit of Reprisal is unknown -- OK, so people who betray the cult drop dead, but they never knew what hit them.

The cult's mythology is deliberately weird and variant. The Blue Moon herself is damaged and insane, and has no functioning intellect. Her devotees are weird and dangerous and secretive.

Not a cult for player characters in any "normal" game, I feel.

> I didn't get [Troll Gods] 'cause I have the origonal Trollpack
> and thought (& still think) that the endless number of supliments
> AH manged to stretch the origonal out into was a complete rip-off.

A partial rip-off, agreed. But the one supplement to get would have been "Troll Gods" -- it had the most new stuff (unless you count the RQ3 troll character generation info from the TP3 Book of Uz as "new"). You won't have the cults of Annilla, Arkat, the Black Sun, Himile, Mee Vorala, Moorgarki, Subere, or Xentha, to say nothing of the 15 Darkness Spirit Cults (each with myth and rune-spell), and the 28- page "Jonstown Compendium" extracts -- excellent stuff on Skyfall Lake, descriptions of troll rituals for almost every cult, Blue Moon myths, Arkat saga extracts, and the Worm Song:

: I am Everywhere
: I am the shape of the world.
: All life is inside me.
:
: When the food moves through your bowels, it is in me.
: When the blood moves in your veins, it is in me.
: When sound moves through senses, it is in me.
: When the thought moves through brain, it is in me.
: When babies move through birth tubes, it is in me.
:
: I am the eater, I am the eaten.
: I am before, I am afterwards.
: I am the inside, I am the Outside.
: I am Life, I am death.

(Mind you, I'd love to hear the Pogues' version).

::::

Nick
::::