The Book of the Fathers 3

From: Bill Thompson <interlit_at_pacificcoast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 01:07:22 -0800 (PST)

        The early dawn breeze carried the resin scent of Jal Pine from the lumberyard across the bay. Gulls crouched on weathered piles, wings tucked against the chill, awaiting the day.

        I was sitting on a bale of Jute that I had dragged behind some crates. Only the rats had seen me arrive and over the last half night we had come to terms. My back ached and the cold covered me like a blanket.

        I had placed a Mystic Eye above the crates and focused it on the ship that lay still in the water. A long while ago I had observed a flash of ethereal light on the ship. Father arriving. And now, hours later, another one.

 What would bring Father here ?
 What ties does he have?

        A man slipped over the side of the ship and into the water shortly after Father left. I watched long enough to be sure of his direction and then ported to one of the temporary circles that the rats had watched me set up. When he came out of the water I was waiting. Feral curs on the docks attracts no attention even when they are seen there in the shadows. I followed him away from the docks and into the merchant's quarter. He paused by an estate wall and prepared to climb. I took him then....

        He was an assassin. Hard to prove but I think he was Black Hand of Malkion. One of Cardinal Chobrian's get. He takes them young and trains them to be the best at what they do. Father would laugh at their training, if Father ever laughed.

        I cleansed the site and settled back to wait. A few more hours in an alley would make no difference and at least around here all the rats were behind walls.

        He came out with an array of retainers and clerks. I followed him to the market and within a half span I had a beginning. Master Merchant Lor Alenils, carrying silver from the Earthfolk to Hrelar Amali. Still, why would father want him dead? or was it some one else within the compound?

        I returned to our Inn with a small stop along the way to collect a small bag of gems and a pair of quicksilver daggers. How did a moderately successful merchant come by these little beauties?

        Richter was in bed still. Geoffrey watched me enter from his chair in the corner. Sharp eyes miss little. "Father was in town," I said. He nodded, silent. Words spoken can't be unsaid. "I need one more day," I added.

        "There is an armorer from Tornwall in town," Geoffrey said, glancing to Richter. "Word is that he has a new style of ring lapping."

        Geoffrey knows me too well. "Richter will want to see it then," I replied.

        " Mm Hmm might take all day if we don't stop him."

        I snatched a few hours sleep after speaking to Geoffrey and when I awoke they were gone out. I followed their example and soon found myself on the Street of Silent Tongues. There was a Thief Taker there that I had heard of.

        He knew of the merchant. Had heard of a robbery but not what or how much. His sources could only say that the merchant himself was keeping very quiet but some of his staff were talking. I handed him the bag of gems which I had procured the night before and some documents that I had just recently drawn up. I added a few words of advice and then sent him on his way.

        Now I find myself sitting in Geoffrey's chair. It's getting dark and they're not yet back. The keep's daughter brought me a sealed note which I found to be from the thief taker. Master Alenik had hired the thief taker to disover the truth of a theft that looked to be an inside job. The thief taker would be investigating all of the staff and family. The job could take weeks and would require extensive background checks.

        and oh yes, it seems that the merchant pays quite handsomely....

more later....

Bill Thompson

"Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie.""