The Glorantha Digest V5 #520

From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 09:52:29 -0500

Hi All,

 RE. The Eirithan Hills.

 I once ran some scenarios in the Eiritha Hills. The PC's at the time were a Storm Bull warrior of the High Llama tribe and a sacred worshipper of Axe Sister (BG). The Axe Sister had been brought up beneath the hills within a temple complex that I based upon the Biturian Varosh trip into the Earth Temple and Ursula Le Guin's earth temple in the Earthsea trilogy. The temple had sections into which no light had ever been brought and were filled with animal spirits (smells and sound mainly). The priestesses moved about in the darkness having been taught the routes all their lives. I remember that many of the hills were rocky, with relatively lush valleys. There were many shrines dotted about the hills to ancient spirits, such as Good Sheperd, Ronance and Tada. Some of the shrines were from the time of Genert, others were only centuries old. Each of the shrines had an attendant, typically an earth witch like shamaness or priestess, they were all eccentric. (look to Drastic:Prax for inspiration or Tales #14-15). The majority of the scenarios centred around an ancient earth spirit called Father Quill, this was a gigantic porcupine with strong magical powers that had dwellt in the hills since the Darkness. He was very prone to feel 'The ills within the earth', and often got into trouble. The Axe Sister had been pledged to protect the spirit from all harm, especially the darkness. Sometimes the scenarios were played in the 'real' world, sometimes they entered the realm of myth - I remember a lot of strange dram sequences. Eventually Father Quill died and left the mundane world (He had always wanted to), he gifted the PC's with magical quill neclaces and ancient lore contained in Knot Writing.

 Re. DD's Maunderings about Fonrit.

 I agree with the statement, I also see this attitude occuring in the KoI.

 Re. The Book of Fathers.

 Bill, I envy your talent - I just hope you don't draw as well!!

 Cheers Simon Bray.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #521