Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #524

From: K. Paul McDonald <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:14:23 -0500

Sandy on the subject of Oddi and the Big "R"...

> Ah. Well, this isn't Paulis's tale. If this story is true, the
> individual killed by Oddi was probably the unicorn-headed Ralzakark of
> Demon Plateau. For whatever that's worth.

True. I rechecked the source and found that it is just some distant future historian - not even the editor that fowards Paulis's story. Basically, whatever happens after Halgrim's War is a big disaster for the Bilini. We can't be certain *what* really happens. Its up to the individual GM to make that call, I guess.

As for the identity of the unicorn broo Oddi slays in that version of the future... I don't think it really matters if it was the "real" Ralzakark. A rose by any other name... I am sure that the number of evils attributed to the big "R" doesn't decline much. There is always some horror willing to use the name. As you pointed out, the "truth" may be something completely different. The horrors using his name may well be worse than the original, or any number of variations on this theme.

On the White Moon...
I like the Lovecraftian overtones to the prophesy in the Genertela book:

"The White Moon is the moon of calm,
For none are quieter than the dead.
The White Moon is the Moon of Beauty,
But who shall remain to admire her?"

It seems both sides are glossing over the apocalyptic overtones. At first I thought Argrath would become the White Moon when he becomes a god, since the Pelorian hill barbarians believe the Red Moon must be "torn down" before the White can rise. There is no evidence I can find for there being *any* visible moon in the future, though.

K.Paul McDonald