Re: bad magic; good contraception

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:21:35 -0800

Jeff Erwin asked of the deities of drought, etc.

> Who's the bastard supporting these gods? Keep in mind humans spend time
> worshipping helpful deities.

Must be the Orlevings, trying to afflict us Varmandi. Of course, the time Theya summoned the Boar to afflict them has nothing to do with their wickedness.

There's always someone else to send bad stuff at you -- which is how real world shamans explain their occasional curing/predictive failures.

Joerg proves he's an Illuminated Riddler by writing an impossible statement:

> If one is to use MS Windows in a failsafe way

It just crashed on me about an hour ago, and I only use it an hour or so a week... Luckily, I know at least answer to this one.

> >Contraception
> What for, and when to cast? I mean, in mainstream - fertility worshipping -
> society this is quite blasphemous.

Not at all. In many cultures, introduction of contraception increases the number of children.

Notice I don't say babies (partly because I don't know) -- contraception lets you space out your babies so that more of them survive, and have babies only in years when you have a pretty good idea you'll be able to feed them (no point in having a kid when there's a famine!).

By allowing births only when mother and child can survive, more babies survive. And isn't that what fertility is all about?