Re: Moon Magic

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 03:42:26 -0400

Robert writes:

> No-one knows where the Emperor gets to for the seventh day of rechargin=
> the Empire at the change of the wane... It seems a great chance for som=
e-
> one to do a 'Jareel' and ambush, on the spirit/godplane, a society's
leader.

Yeah, but remember that the next Moonson might be more effective than the=

current one. The most likely people to do this (given the intimate knowledge
of Lunar ritual magic presumably required) would be people who thought th= ey
needed a new Moonson...

Peter writes:

> Surely all Lunar Astronomers regardless of religious persuasion believe=

> in the Crystal Spheres. It was a relevation of TakenEgi as taught by
> Korkeros.

This, to me, is the definitive proof that the Sky Dome clearly does *not*=

work according to a Crystal Spheres model. Think about it: this could be Lysenko's evolutionary theory for the Lunar Empire. Moonson -- that doubt= - -
less *expert* Astronomer -- has apparently decreed (or mumbled) that the Sky Dome is a nest of Crystal Balls, and the God-fearing astronomers now carefully rewrite their own manuscripts to fit this Divine Revelation.

Of course, they all secretly know that it's unworkable, and doesn't fit the observed or mythic phenomena, but no astronomer is going to go up to Moonson and say, "You're wrong, and here's why..."; while any over-zealou= s
apparatchik can use this as a rod to beat non-conformist scientists with.=

So a meeting of the Buserian Confraternity would be a seditious nest of counter-cyclical heretics, if any of them dared to speak -- and these are=

the most harmless impotent old Yelmic farts that anyone can imagine!

(It's more fun IMO for a centrally-promulgated scientific doctrine in a theocracy to be Bollocks than for it to be a True Divine Revelation. I would prefer to have Lunar Astronomers working within the confines of a rubbish model for political reasons than adhering to a Brand-New, Bang Up=

To Date theory which is better than all those that have gone before. And I write as one who Loves the Lunar Way, not a moon-hating barbarian).

> Sandy would need another spell to avoid his house becoming filled with
> dead cockroaches

Nah: house spiders. Sandy's an insect freak, remember? (Bet he's got one of those useful Troll insect-repellents).

Joerg:

> Work songs.

Should I have mentioned that the "Song of the Oslir Boatmen" is a spell?

::::
Nick
::::