Some musings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:01:59 +1200 (NZST)

Jeff Erwin:

>Is Glorantha a world were relativism rules magical power? (You can't
>cast Thunderbolt, Wind Priest, Orlanth is dead in this country)

No. A Wind Priest can cast a Thunderbolt anywhere in Glorantha so long as it's cloudy. A better parallel would be to view the wind priest and the sorcerer as having different _understandings_ of the cosmos akin to a Copernican Astronomer and a Ptolemaic Astronomer have of the heavens in the RW. Both can make predictions about the heavens but they operate on different presumptions.

David Cake:

Me>>The cults of Deezola and Teelo Norri are _weak_. They've very
>>little influence in the Empire and are easily cowed into
>>submission by more powerful cliques.

> Teelo Norri is certainly weak. I'm not sure about Deezola, though -
>some accounts give the Deezola cult responsibility for distribution of
>grain, in which case they probably have some political clout. Of course, if
>you don't believe that they control the distribution of grain, then they
>probably are weak.

How does responsibility for the distribution of grain give the Deezola cult 'political clout' to withstand the Lunar Examiners or the Black Army? The only sanction they can apply (ie fiddle around with the grain supply to cause shortages) is so drastic that if they did so, they would be jumped on IMO.

The Deezola cult did have some influence in the early restoration era as a result of a cult of human sacrifices established by HonEel. But this was stomped on with hobnailed boots in Venerabilis's time.

Ian Thomson:

>then someone mentions Old in the Eritha Hills. What is there????
>a ruin I guess?? Where are references to this?

        'These ruins are so old they do not have a name.  Although
        they are found in the Eiritha Hills, supposedly above the
        body of their goddess, the nomads say the city existed before
        the Herd Mother was buried.  An expedition went there during the
        time of the EWF, but only fragments of the records exist now.'
                        Drastic: Prax p9

>Is there anywhere a list of what is at all these fascinating places?

Drastic: Prax