On the White Moon and the end civilization

From: K. Paul McDonald <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 12:50:37 -0500

Nick Brooke informs...
>> There is no evidence I can find for there being *any* visible
>> moon in the future, though.
>
>"White Orbiter". KoS.

Ah - missed that one. I was looking for a big white moon like ours and overlooked the Orbiter, and it's "benevolent deity". The little Moon is supposed to be associated with "Healing and Growth", which would make a certain amount of sense.

Re-reading the Zin Letters inspired me to think again about the end of the Hero Wars, and its affect on Gloranthan society. Apparently much changed after the fall of the Red Moon. Society, at least in Peloria, stumbled forward for another hundred and fifty years or so, and then collapsed into a dark age of illiteracy. Argrath's victory over the Monster Empire had a terrible cost, it would seem.

How bad was this cost? How wide spread? From the looks of things, much in the way of religion and culture was lost. Is the fragment where Argrath fights Wakboth and most of the gods end up Devil's Food at all true? How about the end of Argrath's Saga, where "The shape of the world was changed. The way that nature works was changed. The way that men and women relate to the world was different. The way that the gods and mortals communicated was altered."?

This *is* idle speculation - few games are likely to make it to the end of the Hero Wars, even in PenDragon Pass. Still, it kept me up late last night thinking... <laugh>

Sandy takes credit...
>>On the White Moon...I like the Lovecraftian overtones to the prophesy
>>in the Genertela book:
> Thanks. I wrote it myself.

Figures - this is the same man that wrote a Lovecraft influenced Superworld adventure (if memory serves)! ;)

K.Paul McDonald