Boars, Babies, and Buseri

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:41:25 -0700

Of Boars and Cursing One's Enemies

> Of course, the time Theya summoned the Boar to afflict them has nothing
to do with their wickedness.

Of course it did. The boar was sent by Ernalda to protect the sacred pig woods and our ancestral shrine to Kero Fin from the Foulorleving. I merely offered the Goddess an Foulorleving prisoner in return for her blessing the normal pigs of the wood to drive off the Foulorleving should they enter. That she saw fit to send a murderous boar the size of a large bull merely shows how much she distrusts the Foulorleving, too.

Birth Control

> By allowing births only when mother and child can survive, more babies
> survive. And isn't that what fertility is all about?

Much agreed. See David Dunham's website for write-ups of our old Post Dragon Kill campaign. It contains the brutal wisdom of Korvash, a Dara Happan peasant from second-age Alkoth/Henjarl. In it, he offers Boltho, the Orlanthi chieftain whom he faithfully serves, (at least as long as Boltho is voted "Most Likely to Control the Food and the Women"), advice on how to starve. Infants don't fare very well in Korvash's instructions...

Buserian Types:

> So a meeting of the Buserian Confraternity would be a seditious nest of
> counter-cyclical heretics, if any of them dared to speak -- and these
are=
> the most harmless impotent old Yelmic farts that anyone can imagine!

Not always! In my Alkoth campaign, the most terrifying, most bloodthirsty character is not the rugged, blood-drinking Shargashi warrior Vrantharus, (played with inspiration by Martin Laurie), but the tall, sallow, vegetarian Buserian worshipper, who incites mobs to bloody deeds, (played with equal inspiration by Dave Pearton). Manilarvus can often be heard shouting: "First against he wall when the revolution comes!", and "They must be puified! Burn them!, Burn them!", as he wanders in search of rainwater and watercress.

Pam
(back from an electronic hiatus)