re: construction techniques

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:22:51 -0800

Sergio "were-duck" Mascarenhas wrote

> I assumed that the people in Sartar used mainly wood for construction. But,
> while reading RoC, I stopped at this: "Knowing much about stonemasonry,
> though not as much as Flintnail, Sartar migrants used the material
> frequently for public and private structures."

My belief is that, within Sartar, it's a matter of wealth. Wood is plentiful, and I'm sure it's easier to haul some big logs than a whole lot of stones. But stone has its advantages, so you use it if you can afford it.

In Pavis County, wood is quite scarce. Mud bricks are probably quite easy to make, but not very satisfactory (I doubt there's enough fuel to fire them). Again, stone is the superior, if more expensive, construction material.

Thanks for the various elephant answers. I now remember there's also wooly mammoths in Aggar (see <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/aggar.html> for the reference). Now I just have to get a good book on early mammals, with lots of pictures...