Telmori & Argrath

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:51:38 +0000

Thomas asked:

> Can anybody explain why the Telmori, normally extremely loyal to the
> Kings of Sartar, fight against Argrath instead of supporting him like
> their oaths would demand ? It's still a mistery for me.
I've got a few ideas, which I believe Thomas at least has read.

Basically, I think the Telmori were loyal to Kallyr (events of 1613 and 1625 seem to support this). From 1625 to 1630, Kallyr ruled Sartar and Argrath did his best to take the throne away from her. In 1630 she was killed by Harrek, one of Argrath's main allies (and, I think, at his instigation).

After all that, possibly the Telmori didn't think Argrath counted as a True King?

Really, though, we need to sort out what Minaryth Blue meant. "1629 -- We kill Dinacoli. Queen Kallyr marries at last. Telmori promise revenge, quarrel with Argrath of Pavis." OK, we know A of P was not "the" Argrath, but why did the Telmori promise revenge, and on who? The abbreviated grammar leaves it very unclear.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/