re: construction techniques

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:22:38 +0100

Me:
>> I assumed that the people in Sartar used mainly wood for construction.
But,
>> while reading RoC, I stopped at this: "Knowing much about stonemasonry,
>> though not as much as Flintnail, Sartar migrants used the material
>> frequently for public and private structures."

David Dunham:
> My belief is that, within Sartar, it's a matter of wealth. Wood is > plentiful
I agree that wood is plentiful in most parts of Sartar. But I still think that the eastern part of the Rockwoods facing Prax is much dryer then Dragon Pass. I suuspect that you cannot find there big forests. IMO it is more like the Meseta in central Spain then like central and northern European forested regions. That means that you cannot find there enough good wood for construction. Instead, I think it is a rocky place.

> and I'm sure it's easier to haul some big logs than a whole lot of stones.
Not realy. In dry and rocky places (like most parts in my own country) farmers need to get reed of the small stones to reach farmable land. They used for thousands of years those rocks to make their homes and the walls separating the farms (I think it's the same in Irland but may be wrong). In such places it's easier to find and use rock for construction then wood. As I said, I guess that's the case in the eastern part of Sartar facing Prax.

Sergio