Fertility & Contraception

From: JeffJErwin <JeffJErwin_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:45:49 EDT

<<This is a very sophisticated and well-informed opinion that many primitiv= e
societies would not be aware of. Some may not even have made the link between sex and pregnancy.

The Book "Death, Sex, and Fertility" by Marvin Harris and Eric Ross (Columbia U. P, 1987) discusses the subject quite adequately. Also of interest is "The Kindness of Strangers" whose author I can't recall. I think most pre-industrial societies are very aware of the ecological and childrearing decisions available, as they are literally matters of life and death. Whilst I can't quote off hand, I'd like to point out the primary issue of confusion in reproduction is the nature of male involvement, ranging from catalyst without agncy in the conception to being the only provider of genetic information.
Asserting that pre-industrial peoples are unsophisticated is a little off the mark. In any rate, the important factor in contraception, either pre or post conception is the efficacy of the practice, not the explanation for why it works.
I should point out that Harris and Ross indicate that !Kung women regulate fertility by diet, by causing changes in lean body mass versus fatty. They need not affect the act of coitus itself to be able to prevent births.

Jeff Erwin