Peter's musings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 23:05:23 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

>>>[the idea of crystal spheres] is also the explanation that GRAY alludes to
>>>the Lunar Materialists favouring, BTW.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> Surely all Lunar Astronomers regardless of religious persuasion believe
>> in the Crystal Spheres.

>Materialism isn't a religion, it's a philosophical/worldview "mode".

I didn't say it was. One can have a religious persuasion of 'none' which corresponds to Materialism. However most gloranthan materialists deviate slightly from this ideal IMO.

>I think that to be much of a celestionomer, at least one of an
>Observational or Cosmological bent, you pretty much have to be a
>Materialist, regardless of whether you worship Dayzatar, Buserian,
>Yelm, a Lunar cult, or no-one at all.

I think this involves a needless blurring of terms. Look at Greg's description of the Red Moon: the Materialistic and the Divine perspectives are clearly contrasted even though they both see the same things (whereas the mystic says the point is being missed).

Thomas Gottschall:

>Are the Telmori so hated that
>everyone wants them dead regardless how and by whom ?

IMO most Sartarites didn't care for the Telmori rather than have a visceral hatred of them. Thus when Argrath warred against them, most of them felt the Telmori was getting their just deserts.

JW>> After all that [Kallyr's death in 1630], possibly the Telmori didn't
>> think Argrath counted as a True King?

>But the Telmori attack Agrath already in 1628 (according to Stephen
>Martins 'A Timeline of Third Age Dragon Pass') two years before Kallyr
>is killed. Is already here that Kallyr and Agrath are foes ?

Stevie's timeline is wrong here. He cites the CHDP as a source for this but no battle against the Telmori is mentioned there. The Battle is in the annotated Argrath Saga but no firm dating is attached there save that it appears to happens after Argrath fights Harrek in the Holy Country, which is dated to 1628 ST based on 'Events of My Life'. Translating this into precise dates for the Argrath's war against the Telmori involves deductions beyond my capabilities.

Speaking of which, my eyebrows were raised at the mention of 'Prax Pak' and 'Home of the Bold' as officially published sources.