Re: French collective resolution

From: Xavier SPINAT <spinat_at_poly.polytechnique.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:02:27 +0000

>Having stated that i was against the auction system, many can consider,
>after reading the last message of Dany Bourne, that i'm quite illogical,
>offering a lot of cash for a Pavis box.

I would rather say you don't have to justify anything, Laurent... unless you expect somebody to wait for an opportunity to "flame" you. But I'm sure nobody here would have had this kind of attitude!

>The problem is that ....
> the final offer (more than 150$ was beyond any logic for me.
- -..
>Knowing that the best offer after us was up tu 150$, i can just tell to
>certain people here to reconsider the prices results of such auctions in
>their next messages on the subject...

Well, it just prooves auction is one of the easiest and most efficient way of selling rare goods.
Game-theoretical models show that kind of results. When you're the seller, auctions are one of the best way to sell an item to a good prize, especially when the item is rare and when you cannot really price the item yourself.
Auction gives an advantage to the seller and it disadvantages the bidders (especially because it makes cooperation between the bidders quite difficult to occur).
It's kind of a market mechanism, very easy to achieve, even if you only have "one unit" of good to sell. But, in a way, it has nothing to do with logic... I wouldn't call this system "fair", but sounds like the more realistic way to do it. I can hardly imagine any other simple and "stable" way of allocating those items.

> ... many french gamers are happy to know that Didier Escodemaison is now in
>charge of the TRM and CS products, and will do a great job, even creating
>a Runequest magazine (but i just let him write here on the subject)

Yes... it seems that we (french players) are about to get a lot of good news. Well, the fact that one "Pavis" box will belong to a french is already good news, and that it was bought with cooperative behaviour sounds like good news too.
Does all this proove that the rumours of gloranthan activities in France were founded?? I hope to get new evidences very soon...

Xavier

spinat_at_poly.polytechnique.fr (Xavier SPINAT)

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #533