Mixed Bag

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:45:59 +0000

> Nikk Effingham :
>
> > Off hand I can't remember how he [the Red Emperor] dies in KoS.
>
> The Red Emperor is given a fatal wound by Harshalter the Terrible at
> the Battle of Boldhome (p.142 KoS). But I remember to read somewhere
> that this was just a proxy and not the real one. I blame Nick Brooke
> for this Lunar propaganda.

As far as I can remember, he was killed by Sheng Seleris who then made Emperor Stew for everybody.

Thomas Gottschall:

> There is the myth of Orlanth and Aroka in KoS (p.69). This should be
> also a heroquest to fight Daga. Patrick Sandberg wrote "An Orlanthi
> Holyday" - a ceremony description of this myth. Look for it on the
> web.

This results in the release of Heler, who can defeat Daga. (I only just realised that Heler/Daga is a kinstrife - between two brothers)

Telmori:

> Are the Telmori so hated that
> everyone wants them dead regardless how and by whom ?

Pretty much. Of course, not everyone hates them, just most "right-thinking people" in Sartar.

Jeff J Erwin:

> I seem to remember that the Amazonian Indians and
> a few other low-tech tribes elsewhere believe that all misfortune is
> bad magic.

Not just the Amazonians, my wife is Bashkiri (a Russian tribe of steppe nomad ancestry) and firmly believes that any illnesses or misfortunes that affect her or any of her family are caused by Magicians putting curses on her (usually from rivals back in Moscow). She knows of Shamans back home who can take the curses off but won't even talk about them because shamans can also put curses on people, especially those who talk about the shamans.

Sergio Mascarenhas replies to:
>> and I'm sure it's easier to haul some big logs than a whole lot of
stones.
> Not realy. In dry and rocky places (like most parts in my own country)
> farmers need to get reed of the small stones to reach farmable land.
> They used for thousands of years those rocks to make their homes and
> the walls separating the farms (I think it's the same in Irland but
> may be wrong). In such places it's easier to find and use rock for
> construction then wood. As I said, I guess that's the case in the
> eastern part of Sartar facing Prax.

In Ireland they used turf for a long time, but also used stones for much of the rural buildings. A better example is in Northern England where they do things pretty much as you suggest. Dry Stone Walls are commonplace. In Scotland, especially in the north, dry stone was used for a lot of building.

This may well be a model for rural Sartarites but urban Sartarites use more sophisticated stonework. After all, Sartar and his sons used stoneworking techniques to create cities. That is not to say that all urban buildings are of good stonework or that all rural ones are dry-stone built.

Jeff Erwin:
>Are there places in Glorantha that are more or less unmarred? Yes.

Well, there is a valley north of Valind's Glacier where the inhabitants have no disease or death and where they live in happiness and harmony (or so I have heard). Of course, they are all broos but have not been marred by Chaos.