Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #533

From: Eric D. Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:44:04 -0400

TTrotsky:

> Firstly, even without Skyfall Lake, the River isn't going to dry up entirely,
> although it will become a lot lower. Secondly, it has many tributaries, so
> that the effect on most of Dragon Pass is minimal IMO.

> what do (the tribes of southern and eastern Sartar)
> care if the River dries up? (They) are centred around the Stream and various
> minor tributaries.

> The people who will be affected, and affected in a big way, are the Alda-
> Churi and the Dinacoli.

OK, hauling out the maps of Dragon Pass. Yes, The River does have a few tributaries, but they're mostly seasonal, obviously being created in the spring by melting snow in the hills. It is true that most of Sartar is not reliant upon The River. The primary source for Sartar is The Creek, and to some extent The Stream. It also seems that much of the water of Sartar must come from rainfall and mountain runoff, since most of the tribes live away from the major river valleys. Checking a map of the 24 Orlanthi tribes of Sartar, I find that only the Princeros, Tovtaros, and Vantaros tribes seem to rely on The River. Who wants water that's been through Snakepipe Hollow anyway?

Eric Hansen