Telmori, Scritha, vocabulary

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:39:18 +0000

Thomas asked:
> But the Telmori attack Agrath already in 1628 (according to Stephen
> Martins 'A Timeline of Third Age Dragon Pass') two years before Kallyr
> is killed. Is already here that Kallyr and Agrath are foes ?
Well, I'm not sure where Steve is getting his dates from. Minaryth Blue mentions "Telmori promise revenge", and "quarrel with A of P" in 1629, not 1628, and we don't even know if these sentence fragments refer to the same event. CHDP doesn't seem to mention any Telmori quarrel in this period. And the Saga puts the fight with the Telmori after the battle of Bagnot, way in the future.

But Kallyr and Argrath had been at least rivals if not actively enemies since about 1625. Read Joerg's explanation of events if you're still puzzled. I don't agree with every detail, as I recall, but the main concept is very well explained.

The Scritha valley - Sergio says:
> But I think that Bera is not of the Oasis people of Indagos. It seems
> more likely that he belongs to the Sartarites of Blyford, south of
> Indagos.

Since the bit I quoted specifically says he's of Sartarite descent, I agree. The point is that the Oasis people do not have the Scritha to themselves, nor even to themselves and the Praxians. The Sartarites moved in around 1550, and the Lunars kicked them out to put their own people in the best land in 1610. You can't consider the Oasis wimps in isolation when everyone and their alynx has been dispossessing them for several generations.

Actually, I quite like the idea that the Oasis people are totally powerless and defenceless, but for some reason no-one attacks them. The nomads don't know why, they'll change the subject if you ask, but somehow an attack on the Oasis people just doesn't happen. And if you ask the Oasis people, they smile.

And the word for "dawn twilight" is... "madrugada". Thanks, Sergio.
> But... i suspect you people were thinking about words in English...
Probably, but most of the English language is words we borrowed from other people. Let's borrow another!

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/