Scritha Valley

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:48:47 +1200 (NZST)

Sergio Mascarenhas:

Me>> The Native Farmers of the Scritha are your average ignorant
>> peasants and are described in RoC p23. Even Brolian
>> savages would feel more sophisticated compared to them.

>I suppose this is what other people think about the oasis people. IMO
>there must be more to them then this. Your discourse is a lot like our
>European discourse about so called primitives (like the bushmen of the
>Kalahari, pigmees, etc.). An informed and unbiased look at those
>peoples reveals they are very sofisticated.

I was thinking of poor irish peasants throughout much of their history for which the stereotype is a little more accurate.

>In my Scritha campaign I will follow this thread.
>The oasis people will be sofisticated in their own terms. After all, they
>survived since the golden age in an hostile world. They must have some
>unacknowledged strenghs.

Their secret is that they are submissive and do anything the nomads tell them to. This is in stark contrast to normal civilized people who try and drive the nomads off. Contrast the success of their methods. As far as we know there are no ethnic groups descended from the World Council migrations into Prax. The Populations descended from second age migrants (such as the Pavisites) are on the verge of extinction and/or going native with only Sun County being an exception (but not for long). Only the oasis folk have managed to retain their ways in Prax for so long.

>So, my question is: can I assume that Sir
>Indagos ordered the construction of the stone walls in the end of the
>1500's or the begining of the 1600's? (That would mean that I can use New
>Pavis for inspiration in designing Indagos.)

Probably.