Xavier's questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:05:51 +1200 (NZST)

Xavier Spinat:

>Why is Runegate called like that? Except its location and that a battle
>happened there, what is known about this city (or rather this fort?)

        'The Town of Runegate fort gets its name from the gate in the
        east wall.  This gate is rumoured to have been brought from
        an ancient city in the Holy Country by the horse people who
        settled the region, and before that from an even older city
        now lost.  The gate is shaped like a luck rune, and the wood
        that shapes the rune is of a type no scholar I have found has
        ever recognized.  The rune-carved gate inside the rune are of
        a much more recent construction.  The gate is named the Fool's
        Gate - for it is said that only a fool trusts to luck.  However
        incredibly, the gate was the only part of the town to survive
        the attack of the Crimson Bat in 1602, and the subsequent inferno.'
                        Notes from Nochet, ToTRM#12

The horse people are perhaps Grazers who intermixed with their Vendref and became the ancestors of the Hyaloring Triarchy.

>There are several "forts" in Sartar (like Two-ridge fort). Who constructed
>them and who "hold" them now? (I guess that hold is not the correct word
>but...)

Two-Ridge Fort is the tribal centre of the Malani Tribe. It was originally an old EWF hill fort. The other forts are probably associated with various tribes and clans: Torkan's Last Fort is the stronghold of the Torkani Tribe and so forth.

>Places like Redbird, Famous Bell,... are they forts or small towns? Are any
>lunar military units permanently stationned there?

Redbird is described as a fort in the Apple Lane Map (English version). Famous Bell is presumably also a fort for the next stop along the road to Jonstown (in Apple Lane) is the Dew Drop Inn which is presumably a different establishment. These are clan centres rather than being lunar fortresses as Grey Dog Inn is associated with the Lismelder Tribe and Clearwine Fort is the centre of the Colymar Tribe. Tarkalor Keep is associated with the Hiording clan and also the Varmandi clan (according to KoS).

>A few details in the french version of Apple-Lane still confuse me: in a
>small and uncommented map of Apple-Lane surrounding, some weird places are
>mentionned:

>"Autel noir" (black altar), "Sanctuaire de Tarndisi" (Tarndisi's sanctuary),

Tarndisi's grove is known as a burial place for parts of King Salinarg of Sartar (KoS p44) and an elusive dryad is also known to live there (KoS p245).

I dunno what the Black Altar is.

>Why is Larnste's Table (I'm not sure about the english name) magical?

Associated with the ancient god of movement, I guess.

>Some people called the "remodellers" created the "centaurs of pain". These
>centaurs were "not allowed" to die by their creators... and that was the
>source of their suffering. Does that mean that the EWF-people mastered
>Death in some way?

The 'remodellers' are the Remakers. You are probably correct in your suspicions about the mastery of death for the method of making the centaurs appears to be a reversal of 'the butcher's story' (KoS p224).

>Except for Farang Farosh (and Delecti), is any human of EWF possibly still
>alive?

The only other person to survive the Dragonkill was Ingolf but he passed away some time ago. Yarandros Ingeston (KoS p189) was around in the days of the EWF but was a slave of the Pure Horse People and not the EWF proper.