Re: Sartarite Forts

From: TTrotsky <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:15:13 EDT

Xavier:

<< There are several "forts" in Sartar (like Two-ridge fort). Who constructed  them and who "hold" them now? (I guess that hold is not the correct word  but...)
 Places like Redbird, Famous Bell,... are they forts or small towns? Are any  lunar military units permanently stationned there? >>

      I'm sure others will provide most of the answers you're after, but allow me to explain about Torkan's Last Fort as it exists in my campaign. It was constructed as a hill fort by the EWF, presumably to help defend against the Praxians and/or trolls. When Torkan arrived in Sartar, he established his tribe in a wide region from Torkan's Vale in the north down to the current lands of the Kheldon in the south. He re-established the fort as a meeting place/trading point with the trolls - it was his 'Last' fort because it was the last human-inhabited spot before you reached troll territory, not because he built it much later than anything he may have built elsewhere.

     Since then, the Torkani have been pushed from their 'ancestral' lands into the rougher terrain of the north, and the Fort now actually lies near their southern boundary. It now serves as a small town - more accurately a large village - and the centre of power for the Siganti clan, who maintain their temples there as well as the longhouse of the clan chief. The Lunars 'slighted' some of the fortifications, and its no longer very impressive as a military outpost. The main Lunar garrison for the region is therefore stationed in the larger settlement of Stonegate.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky