Sartar Places

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:21:40 +0000

Peter Metcalfe:
> Simon Phipp:
>
> >This results in the release of Heler, who can defeat Daga. (I only
> >just realised that Heler/Daga is a kinstrife - between two
> >brothers)
>
> How do you make out they are brothers? Daga is the son of Yelm and
> Molanni whereas Heler is either the son of Daliath and Framanthe
> (ToTRM#10) or the son of Shargash and Oslira (Book of Belintar).

Someone on the Digest mentioned that Heler was created when Yelm fought with the Water Serpent (can't remember its name). It's a nice myth and explains why Heler lives in the Sky and why he was found within a Dragon. It also parallels a version of the Blue Moon's ancestry (when Yelm belly-flopped into the Styx) which is nice. I never liked the Daliath/Framanthe version and had never heard of the Shargrash/Oslira version.

> >"Autel noir" (black altar), "Sanctuaire de Tarndisi" (Tarndisi's
> >sanctuary),
> I dunno what the Black Altar is.

How about Shade Table (where the Giants stop, I think).

Tarndisi's sanctuary always reminded me of Broken Tree Inn, which I have placed there since reading KoS.

> >Why is Larnste's Table (I'm not sure about the english name)
> >magical?
>
> Associated with the ancient god of movement, I guess.

Many standing stones in England are associated with the Devil or with King Arthur because poeple have forgotten whose they were or never even knew. Perhaps Larnste's Table is in this category.

By far the best map for thinking "why is that there?" or "what is that?" is the RQ3 Trollpak map - loads of fascinating references to places and features found nowhere else.

Can anyone tell me where the Six Stones are (as used in the Six Stones HeroPlane Ritual)? I know they are somewhere in Sartar but have never managed to find out exactly where.

Also, harping back to an old question which still burns me, has anyone any information on Cragspider, apart from the stuff in Dragon Pass and the Trollpak series?

Cheers

Simon Phipp