Re: Suam Chow

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:34:44 +0200

Peter:

> were sunk in the first age. Uz Lore (in Trollpak) supports this
> by showing the Isle of Hum Chang connected to the mainland from the
> south. The straits between Jaubon Province and Human Chang are clearly
> visible and the Suam Chow appears to cover a small basin which reaches
> as far south as Goropheng.

- -.. {snipped and included below, out of order}

> By the second age, the sealine has attained its familiar shape
> indicating that a disaster has already occured. The disaster has
> had major impact elsewhere as the Isle of Fanzai is also seperated
> from the continent by the second age!
>
> I assume Sandy is referring to the Dragon's Awakening Shudder which
> would have been marked by massive floods as the seas burst the dykes.
> It seems too late however for the historical expansion of the Suam
> Chow.

So what about a combination, say during the second age rather than by the second age? I.e. as per the Troll Pak maps, a long bay appears sometime between the Storm Age and the Dawn. When the FDR comes to power they mess up and fail to continuate the necessary rites to keep the waters out of the lowlands. Instead they build dams to save parts of it at least. Finally at the Dragon's Awakening Shudder these burts and the disaster is complete.

> Whether it includes Goropheng is a good
> question - the Kralorela writeup says it was flooded long ago. I
> assume OTOH that Goropheng was only partially flooded and had canals.
> After the historical expansion of the Suam Chow, it became uninhabitable
> and was sadly abandoned.

That would make it an interesting place, so I will adopt this idea. The final flooding and abandonment could take place after the FDR failed the water rites.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/