Re: Hyalorings; Heler

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:43:39 -0800

Peter Metcalfe suggests

> The horse people are perhaps Grazers who intermixed with their Vendref
> and became the ancestors of the Hyaloring Triarchy.

Nope, first off, the Grazers would have had to intermarry with the vendref very early (back when they were merely slaves and not an actual people), since the Hyaloring Triarchy is quite old. I find this implausible in later years, but even more so at the start.

The Hyaloring Triarchy is, as far as I know, descended from Orlanthi who very early adopted horse use (perhaps the Berenethtelli). Greg has said that he regretted using the same name as the horse nomad Hyalorings.

There's a tiny bit about them in Enclosure 1.

Simon Phipp

> Someone on the Digest mentioned that Heler was created when Yelm
> fought with the Water Serpent (can't remember its name). ... [I]
> had never heard of the Shargrash/Oslira version.

I suspect you're misremembering the story (which Greg read in Victoria). It was Shargash who fought against the mother of waters.