Cradle matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:27:09 +1200 (NZST)

Tony Likhite:

>Also, where did Pinchining come from in the first place? I vaguely
>recall something about Urrrggh the Ugly praying to his hoard of gold
>wheels during a Heroquest with the Temple of the Wooden Sword, and (upon
>rolling an 01 :) getting a special result. Was the special result the
>awakening of Pinchining?

Yes.

Michael Cule:

>I think that P. is killed when the Lunars breach the defences. And it is
>implied that Argrath goes to Hell to bring him back...... How come he is
>That Tough, I dunno.

I don't think it was a very tough quest. Notice how sensitive Garrath is when he leaves the cradle?

        'Garrath cannot stay nor lead, for his services are required
        elsewhere.  If a player-character wishes to insult Garrath's
        courage or honor by insinuating cowardiance, Garrath will
        promise to remember that slur after he finishes tasks beyond
        the understanding of the foolish.  He and his bodyguard will
        depart'
                Pavis: Episodes p45

Any *real* Orlanthi who has just been called a coward would IMO smite the dog who slurred him thus. By claiming that he will remember the insult and that what he is doing is 'beyond the understanding of the foolish', one is left with the nasty suspicion that the charge has hit home. IMO Argrath's HQ to retrieve P. was dead easy while the PCs were busy dying the decks of the Cradle with their lifeblood.