Origins of (modern) Hyalorings.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 00:23:30 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

Me>> The horse people are perhaps Grazers who intermixed with their Vendref
>> and became the ancestors of the Hyaloring Triarchy.

>Nope, first off, the Grazers would have had to intermarry with the vendref
>very early (back when they were merely slaves and not an actual people),
>since the Hyaloring Triarchy is quite old. I find this implausible in later
>years, but even more so at the start.

So? The Grazers came into the Valley in 1250 ST and the first Vendref entered after 1300 ST. There is no record of the Hyaloring Triachy prior to this AFAIK. As for the alleged implausibility of the Vendref/ Grazer mixing, IMO this is only one tribe of malcontents and not representative of grazers in general. There are references to the Wanderers who split off from the Grazers in the time of Josadarin the Stallion (which is before the Vendref migrated into Dragon Pass).

>The Hyaloring Triarchy is, as far as I know, descended from Orlanthi who
>very early adopted horse use (perhaps the Berenethtelli).

The Berenethtelli live up near Saird and were in the middle of the first age wars between the Dara Happans and the Heortlings. For the Hyaloring Triarchy to be descended from them would mean that their ancestors would have to survive the Gbaji wars (difficult for Orlanthi sun worshippers), migrate to Heortland and maintain their ancient traditions despite pressure from the EWF and the Only Old One so that they can migrate northwards when Dragon Pass becomes habitable. This is quite an achievement! They can't be migrants from the north when Dragon Pass becomes habitable or else they will be speaking Tarshite like the Alda-churi do. Thus I prefer the recent mixture on parsimonious grounds which still gives us the descent from Hyalor (which any Grazer can claim) as well as good Orlanthi credentials.