Minor contradictions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:13:04 +1200 (NZST)

Nick Brooke:

>IIRC, the *real* Six Stones are in the Underworld.

        '[The Six Stones is] a landmark in Sartar which co-exists
        in the middle world and the Hero Plane'.
                Footnote #10 to Abelard's Quest in Tales #5

Jane Williams:

On the similarities between Argrath and Jomes Wulf:

Me>> How do you get the similarity? Argrath uses magicians and priests to
>> hunt down the Telmori whereas Jomes uses Peltasts to fight them.

>Argrath used priests as back-up to his warriors, which was certainly a
>useful innovation. But the actual fighting was done by warriors (type
>unknown), who wore wolfskins afterwards and took wolf-related nicknames.

Jomes took the nickname Wulf whereas Argrath's warriors formed a unit called the Wolfskins. I don't see Argrath calling himself Wulf or Jomes' men calling themselves the Wolfskins. Thus the similarities are co-incidental IMO.

Argrath's acceptance into the Colymar:

Me>> The event is said to have occured early in his reign (KoS p213) and
>> Minaryth Blue confirms this by stating Argrath's election as having
>> occured in 1631 and his acceptance into the Colymar in 1632. Thus I
>> think the 1627 date implausible.

>He was given five years to bring them in, with his acceptance dependant
>on success, remember?

But the first meeting occurs early in his reign which is impossible in 1627 since he was not Prince of Sartar then. The five years period refers to the establishment of the Karandoli clan as part of the Colymar tribe. It seems odd to suggest that when the Karandoli migrate into the lands of the Colymar, they are not treated as members of the Colymar. But if Leika gave the Karandoli probational membership or membership conditional on them moving in over the next five years, then Argrath can be said to have been welcomed as a member from the time the decision was made.

>So he asked permission in 1627, and five years
>later is 1632. You could say 1627 is early in his reign _in_Aldachur_ if
>you wanted to quibble.

        'When Argrath returned _home_ he was welcomed by everyone
        at the City of _Boldhome_.'

        '"But we can consider you has an honorary member," said the
        Queen. "Please stay, and we will have a great feast for
        _our_ prince."'
                    KoS p213 {emphases mine - PHM)

He doesn't appear to be a prince of the Aldachuri if he lives in Boldhome and is acknowledged by the Colymar as their prince.