Heroquests and God Learners

From: Ivan Gatt <ivangatt_at_keyworld.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:12:30 +0200

Hello everyone,

My name is Ivan, from Malta. I am new to the list having just subscribed sometime ago, but for the moment restricted myself to watch.

I do have a question about an assumption I have been making for sometime. Perhaps it is a subject that has already been discussed, so excuse me if it has...

Sometime ago I was writing a heroquest for my players, and since my campaign takes place in Dorastor, I read a bit about Arkat.

Well, I was reading about the way he went from one myth to another, changing them. I read also how a Heroquester, if he changes a myth and enforces it on the mundane plane, it becomes 'reality' in that area, and if it is widespread enough it becomes real everywhere (referring to the example by Greg Stafford about the Hill of Gold Heroquest). So, in a way, is this not what the God Learners did, changing mythology? If so, Arkat is a God Learner, right? And, extending this theory, if every Heroquester emulates Arkat, every Heroquester is a God Learner. And since cult rituals are a sort of Heroquest, would the priests, initiates and lay members (i.e. all Gloratha since almost every person is at least lay member, if not initiate of a cult) who participate in this rituals be God Learners?

That is what I assuming. Am I making the right assumptions?

Regards

Ivan