Babies,Oasis Folk

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:54:23 +0000

LORDBACBUC says:

> The Mostali are the obvious example of non-sexual reproduction.

Unfortunately not. See the write-up in Elder Secrets where a male and female dwarf are secluded when mating is required, instructed in the use of their "mortar" and "pestle" and are left together to grind away for hours and hours, by all accounts a most unpleasant task. True Mostali are just fished out of a Crucible, but clay mostali have to do the deed.

> Some Gloranthan babies may, indeed, be found inside cabbages, if
> that wer= e the local mythology.

Surely, they are found beneath Gooseberry bushes?

> Anyway, I haven't had time to read most of the old Digest stuff, but
> it h= as=0Aoccurred to me that if the Ducks/Carl Barks connection
> were taken to its most absurd ext= reme, Then Delecti would be a
> Duck. =0A

If I have dogs as pets, I do not become a dog. Hence Delecti is not a duck, even though he keeps them as pets (but don't tell the ducks).

Alex Ferguson:
>David Dunham, quoting Simon Phipp (whose employer nearly squished me with
>a truck today -- an everyday tale of Cork cycling folk):

Avoid the Big White Lorries like a plague - why do you think the logo is blood red?

Sergio:
>>2. How do the oasis denizens look like? Are they Theyalan? Of nomad stock?
Peter Metcalfe:
>Nomad stock.

Hmm, I thought the Oasis folk were of the Old Bloodline of Genert's people, Green Eyes and Olive skin, not of nomad stock. There has obviously been a lot of intermingling, normally when a nomad rider spots an oasis woman, but I think that the basic type is different.

>In the map of the Sartar Tribes (ToTRM#6 or Questlines I), there
>is a small group of six dashes south of the Boldhome - Swenstown
>route (south of the K in the Kheldron Tribe). Perhaps that's the
>Six Stones?

Cheers, that'll do for me, especially in the light of Nick Brooke's reply. Funny, I was looking at that map last night (now that my wife does not scream at me when I do my hobby rather than learning Russian) and did not spot this. That's why I re-read everything every so often, just to make connections such as this. Normally I fail, though.

Simon Phipp