Hyalorings, Berenethtelli and Resurrection

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:42:59 -0700

Joerg writes:
>David Dunham finds it implausible that the Hyaloring Triarchy descended
>from mixed Grazer/Vendref origins - partly because lack of time between
>1316 (arrival of the Colymar) and 1350 (firm establishment of Runegate
>fort and lots of binding traditions).

And I agree with David. The Hyalorings are one of many bands of Orlanthi who left Kethaela to settle in the empty frontier lands of Dragon Pass.  Runegate Fort appears to have been founded earlier than 1350 - my notes show that as of 1325-1335 it had a permanent population of about 150 people.

Those bands that traveled to the east of the River became the Quivini and eventually confined the Grazers to the lands west of the River. Those bands that traveled to the west of the River encountered, well, Grazers and either were killed or enthralled.

>> The Berenethtelli live up near Saird and were in the middle of the
>> first age wars between the Dara Happans and the Heortlings. For the
>> Hyaloring Triarchy to be descended from them would mean that their
>> ancestors would have to survive the Gbaji wars (difficult for Orlanthi
>> sun worshippers),

The Berenethtelli were not "Orlanthi sun worshippers". In fact, there never were "solar Orlanthi" - not even during the Gbaji Wars. There were "old Orlanthi", followers of the "New Storm", and those enlightened mercenaries who decided to follow the new God of Light Daysenerus. None of these groups can rightfully be called "solar Orlanthi".

Furthermore, there were Berenethtelli who survived the Theyalan Wars and even the Gbaji Wars. The most famous of them was Harmast - who was decended from the guy who lit a fire to the whole feud between the Heortlings and Lokamayadon.

>I'd agree. However, it seems that the Berennethtelli had been on the
>receiving end in the conflicts with both Lokamayadon and the Dara
>Happans even before 375, and had practically been forced out of their
>lands at the time the council broke. They made up a good portion of the
>new-founded Hendriki tribe, in Heortland.

Umm. Sort of. Really the Theyalan Wars was more a fight between the old Heortlings and the followers of the new High Storm. The First Theyalan War was fought in the Berenethtelli lands and resulted in Lokamayadon's edict declaring all the Berenethtelli tribe to be his thralls and confiscating their land. Many Berenethtelli simply fled and took shelter with other Heortling tribes. Thus at the Battle of Night and Day (379), there was a contingent of Berenethtelli under the leadership of Eringulf Vanak Spear, Harmast's grandfather.

The Berenethtelli did not become the Hendriki, although Joerg is right that many Berenethtelli did become Hendriki. But so did members of many other tribes following the Battle of Vanntar (397) - in fact the Hendriki were probably founded following that disasterous battle.

>IMG I like to keep the number of - successful - resurrections per year
>at less than 100 all over Old Sartar, making it a noteworthy news-item,
>much like a case of murder or a serious car accident nowadays.

Actually, I suspect that it is a LOT less than that. Perhaps more like three or four resurrections per year, if that. Any resurrection is BIG news.

Jeff