Arkat the God-Learner

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:42:31 GMT

Ivan Gatt wants to know:

> Well, I was reading about the way he went from one myth to another, changing
> them. I read also how a Heroquester, if he changes a myth and enforces it
> on the mundane plane, it becomes 'reality' in that area, and if it is
> widespread enough it becomes real everywhere (referring to the example by
> Greg Stafford about the Hill of Gold Heroquest). So, in a way, is this not
> what the God Learners did, changing mythology? If so, Arkat is a God
> Learner, right?

No.

For two reasons. Firstly, that Arkat came before the God-Learners and they based some of their techniques on material stolen from the cult that Arkat left behind.

Secondly, the G-Ls had a secret (now *really*, *really*, *really* lost-honest!) and a technique (the RuneQuest Sight) arising from that secret which is now lost too. This made the spectacular changes they made in the God Plane much easier. No-one now knows why or how.

> And, extending this theory, if every Heroquester emulates
> Arkat, every Heroquester is a God Learner. And since cult rituals are a
> sort of Heroquest, would the priests, initiates and lay members (i.e. all
> Gloratha since almost every person is at least lay member, if not initiate
> of a cult) who participate in this rituals be God Learners?

You have to distinguish between imitative Questing (Travelling) and creative HeroQuesting (Journeying). If you recreate what another did before you then you are doing nothing unusual. If you create something new or recreate something old then you are doing the higher kind of HeroQuest and the more dangerous kind.

Actor And Genius